February 2, 2012

Spotlight - Sally Barrett

I grew up in the central valley of California, the middle of 6 brothers and sisters.  I loved growing up there, and still miss it even though most of my family now lives in Utah. I attended BYU and after graduating with a degree in Business, I served a mission in France.  I am grateful every day for that terrific experience.

After my mission I began work at a computer services company that transferred me to Kokomo, Indiana, a small town surrounded by cornfields. There I met Jerry (in the town, not the cornfields). He worked for the same company, too, and had been transferred there from Texas. After a year of marriage we moved to Dallas, Texas, where the company was headquartered. We settled in Plano thinking that was where we would live forever. We had our two boys, Kevin and Peter, and were expecting our baby girl Bonnie when Jerry accepted a transfer to SLC to work on a “short-term” project. That was 19 years ago. We moved into our home on Morning Vista Drive in 1993 and raised our family here.

Now Jerry and I are adjusting to a new phase of life as empty-nesters. Kevin graduated from the U of U and lives in Madrid Spain, Peter is in Provo at BYU, and Bonnie is at the University of Oklahoma (where Jerry went to college). We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary, and wonder how the years sped by so quickly. Jerry still works for that same computer services company, and I work three days a week for a small home-builder as their accountant. It is a great job! On days that I don’t work I read and knit, read blogs about knitting, and wait for emails/phone calls from my kids. Occasionally I do housework.
I have been greatly blessed throughout my life. I am thankful for a knowledge and testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that I have a loving Father in Heaven and have seen His guiding hand in my life on many occasions. Jerry and I feel fortunate to live in such a warm and caring ward as Morningside, with great neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment